Home Search

taxi - search results

If you're not happy with the results, please do another search
The 1948 shooting of Inwood resident Thomas Collentine launched the investigation that served as the basis for the film On the Waterfront.

Inwood on the Waterfront: The Shooting of Thomas Collentine

Early in the morning of April 30, 1948 longshoreman Thomas Collentine was gunned down near his Post Avenue apartment building in the Inwood section...

From Seaman Avenue to Sing Sing: The Story of “Salty” Ganze

In 1933 Seaman Avenue resident Lawrence "Salty" Ganze was sent to Sing Sing for the speakeasy murder of a diamond dealer. This is his story.
Isham Gardens

Isham Gardens

Designed in 1924 by the architectural team of Springsteen and Goldhammer, Isham Gardens was the brainchild of builder Conrad Glaser. Glaser envisioned an uptown utopia where middle class New Yorkers could live amidst a resort like atmosphere.
Texas Jim Baker Inwood Serial Killer

Inwood Serial Killer: "Texas Jim" Baker

On the morning of December 27, 1928 New York Police responded to an emergency call at the Guggenheim Brothers metallurgical laboratory on 202nd Street and Tenth Avenue.
1931 shootout on Dyckman Street near Sherman Avenue.

Gangsters on the Dyckman Strip: 1931 Shootout Makes National Headlines

The bloody chase, spanning four police precincts, would dominate the news and unite law enforcement as New York came to grips with a new breed of criminal--the gangster.
Alpine Theater Inwood

Inwood Business Advertisements: 1975-1976

The following advertisements, shot from the defunct Heights-Inwood Newspaper, reveal an Inwood with movie theaters, a bowling alley and even a pub serving fifteen cent beers.
The Daily Argus. May 12, 1931.

Prohibition Inwood: Gangland Slaying at Dyckman Street Speakeasy

“Roy Herbert Sloane, the shrewd and engaging young man who talked his way out of Sing Sing last fall, was cut down by shotgun fire from an automobile as he left the Mad Dot Boat Club, a speakeasy at 251 Dyckman Street, at 1 o’clock this morning. He died half an hour later.” (New York Evening Post, May 12, 1931)